grilled bread salad
July 28, 2014 § 76 Comments
We eat a lot of salads, but classic panzanella has to be my favorite. Juicy summer tomatoes, sharp red wine vinegar, fresh basil, and little grilled cubes of day old bread slightly softened by the luscious tomato juice vinaigrette…delicious.
This is one of those recipes where the ingredients really matter. It truly is much better with with either farmer’s market or (better yet) homegrown tomatoes, rustic crusty day old bread and using a good quality extra virgin olive oil.
I n g r e d i e n t s
- 1/2 loaf of crusty bread, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 cucumber peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil, torn into small size pieces
- 2 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- sea salt and pepper
Light your grill. Brush bread slices on both sides with 2 tablespoons oil. Grill until lightly charred on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool slightly, then cut into large cubes.
In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with tomatoes, cucumber and basil. Drizzle with vinegar and remaining 1/4 cup oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine, and serve.