sweet and sour red cabbage
October 28, 2013 § 46 Comments
I have been preparing this German-style cabbage recipe for years. The combination of vinegars helps the cabbage keep its bright color. Baking melds the flavors of the cabbage, onions and apples. Wonderful served with small crispy roasted potatoes.
Red cabbage, yellow sweet onion, two sweet apples and a splash or two of vinegar…exquisite combination.
I n g r e d i e n t s
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head red cabbage (6 cups finely shredded)
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 2 sweet apples, peeled, cored and slivered
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- parsley, chopped, for garnish
M e t h o d
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large ovenproof skillet over medium high, heat the olive oil and sauté the cabbage and onion until cabbage has wilted and onions are soft, 15-20 minutes. Add the apples and sauté 5 minutes, add the vinegars and allow to evaporate. Cover and bake for 45 minutes stirring occasionally. Garnish with parsley and serve.